PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The storey of non-reclining seats
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2014, 08:05
Businesstraveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This article is based on an episode of Peter Day's Radio 4 programme 'In business' - BBC Radio 4 - In Business, Cabin Fever
If you found the written article interesting, the Radio 4 original has a lot more interesting info. Like the fact that a basic economy seat costs about £1100, whilst an economy seat with IFE is about twice that (I think it was). Compare that with a first class seat which costs about £50,000-£100,000.

The interview with the Design Manager for Customer Experience with Virgin Atlantic was interesting. When asked what customers are paying for on a flight, the refreshingly honest answer was ‘real estate on our aircraft’.

From a personal experience point of view, the most comfortable economy seat I’ve been in was on a refurbed SQ B777, which had:
1. Very slender but surprisingly comfortable seats;
2. Headrests which were height adjustable - important for a 6ft2in person such as myself;
3. Headrest with wings that could be folded in to support your head;
4. Seat recline mechanism whereby about half of the ‘recline’ came from the base of the seat sliding forward – and so tilting the seat back all the more. Something that would be fare better for the passenger behind.
5. Endless supply of free G&T + nibbles.