PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth gaining an IMC?
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2014, 21:03
Gertrude the Wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plus to a large extent you still use DR en-route in IMC.
That's not in my book! - but it works.

So, I was explaining my planned route to the instructor, and was worried that for five miles or so I was outside the DOC of the VORs I was using (I'd actually looked them up in the AIP). But on the other hand I wasn't very worried, because I was sure that one or other of them would cover the gap, so it was really just a worry about whether this route would be acceptable on a test.

"Sure," was the answer, "you just DR from a fix on one navaid until you pick up the next one, there's no danger of accidentally running into controlled airspace round there."

In real life you can just tell the GPS to go "direct to" some VOR well outside the distance you can receive it - you'll pick it up when you get nearer. For which you don't even need a fancy coloured moving map type GPS.

I usually plan and fly GPS, and I usually remember to tune in the VORs DMEs, NDBs as a check or in case both GPSs fail. (A radio that's not tuned into something potentially useful is useless dead weight that you're paying to carry around.)