PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All London airspace closed
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2014, 20:30
mercurydancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEO failure

The fact of life is that computer systems fall over. They do that. It is unrealistic to assume that computers will work faultlessly all of the time, every time.

So Swanwick went into emergency measures. It means that the emergency procedures have been applied and that they worked in that every aircraft was diverted where necessary and all landed safely. I trust that if there were any fuel shortage calls from any aircraft then PPrune would have had many posters making it clear how many aircraft were involved and how close they were to danger. No reports so far. So Swanwick did what they needed to do to ensure safety and they did that. This could not have been saved by a simple Ctl Alt Del.

As a frequent SLF I have two modes - if I am in the air I want my ass to get on the ground. Safely. Where that landing is, is optional. Diversions are part of life. They happen. I dont get myself wound up over them. If I am in an airport, then no sweat, as long as the bar is open I am happy. Delays happen.

I have often found that to approach the airline staff and state that I wont be hassling them for the next flight out if I really dont need to be on that flight works wonders. Its one less passenger they know wont throw a hissy fit. They seldom forget and usually help out with essentials like food and a comfy bench to sleep on.

So, in all this rather normal activity, what has gone wrong? Richard Deakin. He should be sacked forthwith for telling lies. He stated that the problem would not occur again. That is not possible. It will occur again, possibly not in the same way but as sure as something else will. I dont trust any CEO who will blatantly lie.

Secondly, one line of code? If I recall my most basic programming code lines refer to each other. So one poor line of code is being blamed? That is a simplistic and patronising comment from him. In fact such a silly comment worries me more than anything. Although I do not hold to this line of thought, some might - if there are millions of lines of code, and one goes wrong then there are some millions more to worry about! Panic! An absolutely stupid comment. If his computer systems are not reliable then he should really not be making excuses. He should either admit it and resign, or use the millions to get a more reliable system.

Deakin, IMHO should have said something like "A computer system failed. My staff worked very efficiently and without delay to ensure flight safety. They did this admirably and although there were significant problems, no passenger was put in danger. NATS takes flight safety as the ultimate priority and despite the difficulties faced that was achieved."