PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gloster Meteor Dinky Toy
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2014, 18:41
603DX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was lucky enough to sit in an F8 at Filton (thanks to my second-cousin war ace John Braham) and fly in a T7 from RAF Chivenor (CCF summer camp).
In the 1950s I was also scheduled for an "air experience" flight in a T7 at RAF West Malling belonging to 500 Squadron (County of Kent) Aux.AF (the so-called "weekend flyers").

Unfortunately, the Saturday morning our CCF unit was taken to the airfield for the planned flights came just a day or so after the MoD had announced the disbandment of all Auxilliary squadrons, with immediate effect. Our excitement was rather dimmed when the anticipated air trips were cancelled, and instead a tour of the hangars and hardstandings was substituted. A number of the squadron pilots were also milling about disconsolately, it hit them even harder than us ...

However, many years later I came across the PPRuNe archive thread "Meteor Accidents - 1953", with the absolutely appalling toll of Meteor crashes and fatalities of that period, and reflected that maybe missing that flight wasn't such a bad thing after all! You were indeed lucky with your T7 flight henry crun, both for enjoying it, and surviving it!

Incidentally, I assume you are not the same 'henry crun' who made post No 2 in that accident thread ...