PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 206L4 TR-Blade options
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2014, 16:19
nuthin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We operate a 206L with the TRACS system. The aircraft is a great replacement to a 206 even with the C20R. We had issues with the computer controlling the actuator. Replacing that was very expensive.
The system works well and I have never had a lack of TR control up to 16,000.
You cannot cheat the wind like an AS350 though as the rest of the Bell airframe does not like being out of wind.

There is alot of room in the back for big internal loads and that is why we use it here in the St Elias range to support mountaineering and scientific camps.

I think for simplicity go with Van Horns on a regular L4 and for absolute best performance go with the TRACS equipped AC.

Just as a side note we had tail boom issues this summer with a cracked intercostal fitting. Easily repaired but normally its the rivets attaching that fitting to the boom itself that slowly start to work loose. This was more of a failure which makes me wonder if that increase in TR authority takes us to the next weak link.

We do fly in some horrendous winds sometimes though so maybe it is a fatigue related issue also.

I think you want to buy a machine with TRACS already installed. It is a $175,000 option. There has been some L4s that have had the TRACS removed also.

Last edited by nuthin; 14th Dec 2014 at 16:40.