PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 14th Dec 2014, 10:53
Greenlights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are implying that pay-to-fly or young cadets are not able to fly, but are simply taken from the street and sat in the cockpit. No. They still have to have a licence to fly commercial passenger transport flights, which involves many months - sometimes years - of study and exams. As well as passing all these, they still have to have demonstrated sufficient skill, knowledge, and ability to control the aircraft and conduct a flight to a safe emergency landing in the event that the other pilot becomes incapacitated. And they must do this without flying into high ground, or swerving off the side or end of the runway, so they need to intelligently select a suitable airfield, with weather conditions within limits.
Well, I did my cpl ir in US first, and what I can say..if you tell this to faa pilots, they will just laugh...
They may have studied (ticked boxes on paper) but they are not truly experienced (piston, turboprop then jet).