PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doing the right thing?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2014, 14:07
Boudreaux Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shot,

My point is fairly simple.

The Americans and CIA are being accused of doing nefarious things as if we are the only ones to have ever engaged in such activities.

That is patently unfair, down right wrong, and very hypocritical of those that insist upon doing so.

Compounded by the inadequacies of the Feinstein Report which they do not wish to acknowledge makes it all very wrong in my view.

The Daily Mail Article about the London Cage and the events that surround that situation are for all intents and purposes the same as today.

Yet we have to remember that no one has been executed based upon Confessions extracted under the CIA's EIT program. One individual died while in Captivity and could attributed to the treatment he received.

This whole debate about "Torture", what constitutes Torture, and the moral/ethical/legal issues that pertain, is one that is not new, not limited to just the United States and its CIA.

I long ago here at pprune went on record saying I endorsed standard interrogation techniques as used by our Law Enforcement Agencies in efforts to obtain "confessions" to criminal acts even if done by Terrorists. I also confirmed my firm belief in the protections afforded to all individuals by the US Constitution and applicable Federal and State Law. I also accepted that those protections to non-US Citizens held outside the United States were very limited and for those accused of Terrorism I had no qualms with them not being afforded the same protections as US Citizens. All of those views are based upon consideration of the Law.

I have a lot of problem with the way our Government uses the Armed Drones and that we have a Sitting US President who brags about his having a "Kill List" and the ability to pen his name to an Order and the CIA/Military will send out a Drone and kill that person even if that person happens to be a US Citizen. That is far more bothersome to me than authorizing the use of EIT's on Terrorists held by the US Government.