PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doing the right thing?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2014, 16:02
Sun Who

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lonewolf 50, AI R,

Before I add anything, I'll make a brief observation; I think this thread is a good example of the best of the PPRuNE, with people disagreeing/debating in an adult fashion.

So,

As an aside, you imply (apols if I got that wrong) insight about the 'rarity' of solid int - can you quantify that?
I could, you'll appreciate that I won't - I realise that may lay me open to accusations of making unsubstantiated assertions.

You both make a fair point that my definition of 'what works' is insufficient, so I guess I need to do better. When I assert that 'torture doesn't work' what I mean is that it doesn't support the overall strategic aim (very well, if at all). It's not that the negative factors aren't worth it (on balance) it's that the negative factors (as per my post 1) do more harm (to the overall strategic aim, not 'the mission') than the intel does good, thereby making the choice of torture a bad one on a functional basis

I also think torture is morally bankrupt BUT I accept entirely that's a position based on a particular ethical perspective (let's not get into the difference between morals and ethics) and as such, a weaker position.

Sun.