PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now where the heck did I put that MPA?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2014, 12:18
Selatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though the MMA/MPA is way up the agenda at high Wycombe, Northwood and Town, the financial outlook is dire. Personally, I think something will come out of the next SDSR and it will be painted as a huge win surrounded by some shocking reductions elsewhere. What exactly that capability will be is the big question but I venture it will be small, cheap and a long way from a P-8 squadron.

In terms of cuts to the reds and BBMF, this represents political folly. They will stay. Changes in funding structure may save a few pence.

3 bands left in the RAF I think. You can chop em but the army won't let you as they really like theirs and so does the queen. If we chop ours the army are likely to face similar pressure. Equally you would save pennies.

Whilst binning the 50 or so lawyers sounds attractive. It's a joint capability and we would still need lawyers so that's a large annual contract required to service. RAF lawyers are also in kinetic kill chains, not normally something we let civies do.

Admin and HR perhaps but again that will be a big serco contract to replace what is still left.

Bin the Regt and let the army do it. They don't want to and have just handed over the NBC regiment to the Regt. However, I do suspect this one will be on the agenda next year as in army eyes it may save regiments.

10% manpower reduction. Should save around 150m a year ish based on 3000 folks going. Such a reduction over 5 years will probably only keep the manpower bill flat vice offer up a tangible saving. ie its a given.

In essence there are lots of hard questions for next year and big numbers needed. Small trimmings like retiring the HS125 next year and shutting the rescue centre at kinloss are small beer. Affording any kind of decent MPA in the reducing mil budget will be very very hard.