PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul McCartney near death experience
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2014, 08:08
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 425 Likes on 224 Posts
A couple of points need reinforcing here. Firstly, despite what Pitts seems to think, it is not presently illegal to descend below 1,000 feet in these circumstances, see the reference to it by the AAIB in their report.

Again, I maintain that descending below 1,000 feet wasn't the root cause of this incident.

Those calling for a total ban on doing so are making a knee jerk reaction, possibly out of ignorance about how the helicopter industry works. Such a ban would be draconian and unnecessary.

Crab, having left the military, you may need to broaden your horizons a little and step down from your lofty perch! Having been in the SAR role myself, amongst others after my military time, I can say with the benefit of hindsight that the onshore corporate market is at times equally, if not more demanding of the individual. It requires extremely high standards at all times.

It's unlikely ever to be the case that an individual customer would wish for there to be a 'published approach' to his own back garden per se, but properly thought out IMC let downs can be carried out in a perfectly safe manner (and it happens, make no mistake; the most modern helicopters in civilian use are extremely good at doing them almost by themselves) but it needs to be done in the proper way with prior planning and in a disciplined way. For example, with an agreed MDA and with a proper missed approach procedure, as you say.

To the holier than thou, I'd say that like most things in life, it's important to find a balance. A balance between keeping the industry safe and stopping it in its tracks.