PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Short Haul EBA 2014
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2014, 05:39
theheadmaster

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Angryrat,

We can argue semantics - yes mainline pilots took voluntary redundancy. The point, however, is nobody was forced out of the door. I am in a location that does not allow access to many internet sites such as Google, so the following is off the top of my head - the trade off for the pay freeze was the engineers gained re-employment for 60 odd engineers that had been made redundant. I believe there is a provision for no further redundancies until all excess leave expended? My understanding was that the redundancy of the last 60 odd engineers was legally questionable, so the reinstatement may not have been the 'give' some may think. Anyway, this is after hundreds of engineers have already lost their jobs. Short haul are not in that situation. There was no reduction of numbers for SH. No demotions for SH. Long haul pilots going to short haul are doing so on the basis of bidding for and being allocated a vacancy. While some moved from long haul to short haul to prevent a demotion, there were some pilots on the reducing fleets that gained promotion slots in short haul.

While I think that other posters here may be management stooges, or wannabe management stooges, I am actually on your side of the fence. It is easy to to get angry with all that has happened in Qantas, but the decisions being made now by pilots should be done in a logical and calculated manner. I am just trying to add a bit of balance and perspective to the discussion.