PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RNAV (GNSS)
Thread: RNAV (GNSS)
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2014, 04:42
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ peekay4...

My mistake, I did not proof read my comment and you are correct about not adding the 50 feet to the LNAV/VNAV approach. I meant to say all other non precision approaches can be flown to a DA instead of MDA by adding 50 feet if your company is entitled to.

However I would have agreed with you on the LPV "non precision" approach status until a few days ago.

I'm just back from a recurrent training and the instructors at the training facility told us that the FAA just changed the status of the LPV approach (I assume this change happened not too long ago) and without giving us more specifics, that the LPV approach is now considered a "precision approach".

We were told the same thing in the sim by the sim instructor and our check pilot also alluded that he read something lately about LPVs from TC. His comment was that it was in the final stages of being approved by TC as a precision approach... Just passing on what I was told in class and in the sim a few days ago.

Also the aircraft manufacturer of the aircraft I fly as now changed the autopilot limitation to allow us to fly down to 80 feet on a LPV approach just like a CAT I or II approach. All other types of approaches are still restricted to 320 feet AGL with the AP engaged (which in itself means nothing on how it relates to LPV approach status).

Last edited by Jet Jockey A4; 12th Dec 2014 at 13:47.