PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH OJA off to a museum
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2014, 01:28
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If It's going to KMHV, so i will see it again soon, if I'm quick enough.

The scrappies are really chomping their way through the fleets of retired heavies there, and most days the sounds of the crashing thumping and grinding sounds of these once noble airframes as they succumb to the demolition machines is like they are crying out in their death throes, doing their best to resist, futile as that may be.

Its always a bit sad for me to see another 74 with its back broken, and the compactor pit awaiting the smaller chunks as they are torn off, dragged across the sand to be crushed.

I have some pics that I took last time I was there of a heavy being reduced to scrap, but cant get one to stick. from the air it was getting smaller by the day and was gone in a week or so, then the next one gets towed to the killing floor.

Week in week out.

I was there years ago when the place was covered in Ansett jets, and it was packed there after 9-11 and the commercial/bankruptcy fall out that followed that event.

whats left is a drop in the bucket compared to ten-fifteen years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjaoR7Zk2s

youtube item is a bit long winded but there are some interesting things to see:

at 00:21 there is a 747 I saw chopped up earlier this year. It got smaller every day I flew.

at 01:01 and 4:58 is the ship from the movie waterworld which was filmed there ( not right there, it was on a concrete pan a few hundred meters away.). the Helio Courier from that film was at chino last I saw.

at 04:27 there are a couple of the remaining F-100's. I saw one of these fly away! it was headed for China lake.

04:38 is a couple of C-133's that have been there since the airport was active military base I believe.

04:42 the Gimli Glider, which now has the engines off I think,

I saw some Q jets at Victorville when I was there a some months ago. VCV is taking over as the main scrap yard. whilst some are there for short term storage, most await the huge jaws of the killing machines.

Sic Transit Gloria

HD

Last edited by HarleyD; 12th Dec 2014 at 01:31. Reason: edited to consider possibility that its now NOT going to KMHV