PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weapons
Thread: Weapons
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2014, 00:38
Danny42C

Nutloose,

Thanks for the link !

The only rifles and LMGs I remember being generally used as infantry weapons in the British Army in WWII were the SMLE, the Bren, the Lewis gun, the Sten and Sterling (and some Thompson guns in Special Forces and the Home Guard). To be frank, I'd never heard of the BAR before, but it looks like a very useful bit of kit.

Wiki gives me:

List of common World War II infantry weapons> 32 United Kingdom>

Rifles

No. III Lee-Enfield
No. 4 Mk1 Lee-Enfield
Rifle No. 5 Mk I
Rifle, .303 Pattern 1914
De Lisle carbine
M1 carbine (limited)
Marlin Model 1894

Sub-machine guns

Sten - about 4 million produced from all sources
Lanchester
Thompson M1928, M1928A1, M1
Sterling Submachine Gun

(They describe the Bren - gas-operated- as a "Light Machine Gun")

In '46, after demob, I joined the TA Rifle Club in Southport (we fired on the Altcar Ranges). They loaned me a .303 "Ross" rifle which I kept at home (nobody bothered about it - I'm sure I had no kind of licence - but of course I had no ammo, that was issued only on the range, and every round accounted for). And they had an indoor range at the TA Drill Hall: Parker-Hale and Webley "Match Rifles" (Martini-Henry action, long .22 rim-fire cartridges).

Wiki describes the "Ross", but I'm sure mine didn't have the "straight-pull" bolt, just the same action as a SMLE, but it had only a five-round magazine.

As jonw66 says: YLSNED ! Cheers, Danny.

PS: At Altcar, I once won a "Spoon Shoot" competition (a tiny siver coffee cup spoon with 'crossed rifles' on the handle) - but that was all ! Kept it for years before it got lost. D.