PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now where the heck did I put that MPA?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2014, 23:19
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let us have a well structured debate, devoid of crass comments
good idea

I'm afraid we're now past the point of debating whether a maritime capability is essential or not. The recent news on this thread vindicates that. SDSR 15 looms ever closer. And we need the capability
Completely agree

But...

All parties are falling over themselves to state how they will reduce the deficit, against this background I can't see how SDSR 2015 will be anything other than another capability, for which read cost, cutting exercise.

Funding for new assets (such as MPA/MMA) is likely only to be feasible if something else is given up.
This is inescapable, unarguable logic too

So lets have the debate even shall we. What (out of the defence budget) are we for cutting to get the MPA/MMA capability back.

And don't even go down overseas aid/NHS rant road...because basically that is as crass as any other comment on here.

Here's my starter for 10

Bin everything PR related (Red's, BoB flight, all bands)

Outsource (to a private company...not the MOD CS) all of the following:

all medical and dental, all admin & HR, all legal,

Bin the RAF Regiment and give all its roles (including training) to the Army.

Target a 10 percent reduction in uniformed personnel thru the above cuts.

that might do it.

Or bin a big ticket item

The IND?
The Carriers?

I'm not suggesting any of the above is feasible. I'm suggesting finding the money out the defense budget to restore an MPA/MMA capability will hurt like hell.

And thinking the the defence budget will be increased to get it back is just fantasy land (or crass if you prefer).