PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 11th Dec 2014, 22:21
Veren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not saying 738 hours aren't valuable. I'm just saying they're not the only valuable currency in the industry.

I also don't think TP pilots are stuck per se in terminal positions. Pilot movement has been stilted for years among all experience levels. I could just as easily point to Virgin Australia Regional and Qantaslink, two TP operators flying feeder routes for Virgin Australia and Qantas respectively. It is pretty common down under to work your way up to jets through TP ops.

I am however urging people to consider the long term effects of their choice. Far too many people have shiny jet syndrome and are spending obscene amounts of money to 'jump start' their career, taking piss poor T&C contracts because they hope to move on to emirates or lufthansa for example. Please consider the pros and cons of contract work, the massive opportunity cost involved with FR's scheme, and pink goggles of 'moving on to the desert in x years'.

By all means, if 738 hours are what you want, you won't find an easier opportunity out there. I am not here to bash on FR; There are other threads for that.

Take my opinion with however much salt you feel it needs. I just want to make at least a couple of young pilots here think this choice through properly. 40k€ is a lot of money, on top of an already substantial investment spent on training.

PS: Final thought about something that is nagging me a bit: You are absolutely entitled to disagree and I welcome an open debate about this job opportunity. But I just have to put my foot down on one thing: You are not signing a training contract; Flying for Ryanair is not training. You are a 100% qualified pilot performing the exact same duties as any other FO for any other airline, and you deserve to be remunerated accordingly. Ryanair is not providing you a great training opportunity, they are providing you with a job. There is a massive difference between the two and you are only doing yourself a big disservice by considering yourself a trainee.