PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Officially entering the hold
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2014, 14:30
glendalegoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
superpilot is right

really I should say: correct

Cherokee 1234 holding bozo VOR at 5000. Entered holding at 21 EFC 27

I think originally the idea of being inbound to the fix became important because that was really the ONLY time you had precise navigation (back in the days of VOR/ADF).

IF you crossed the fix outbound before going inbound you were guessing about the wind etc. ONce inbound on the holding course you had positive nav, as opposed to just flying a heading and hoping for the best. You still had to compensate for winds to adjust your inbound leg to 1 min (or other)

Holding clearances and understanding and holding side etc all came about because OF DEATHS DUE TO MISUNDERSTANDING.

I still recall the man who examined me for my US Instrument rating drilling me endlessly about holding. WHY? His best friend entered holding near Salt Lake City, Utah, USA with an incorrect holding clearance and slammed into the Wasatch mountains killing all aboard.

Back in the good old days, we would report holding, and on approach, Outer Marker outbound, procedure turn OUTBOUND, procedure turn INbound, Outermarker inbound .

A man named Taylor wrote a great book a very long time ago called: INSTRUMENT FLYING. I encourage you to all read it. It is the "Stick and Rudder" of instrument flying.

I have poorly paraphrased him here. Good luck.

And remember, ATC is not a flight instructor and they screw up.

I once got a holding clearance from a controller near Modesto, CA, USA. The format was wrong and I called him on it a number of times and finally told him we were unable to comply with his holding clearance and demanded that he clarify the clearance (this was shortly after the controller's strike). He gave up and just vectored me for delays.I called him on the land line and told him how he had screwed up the clearance.

There is another thread here about why a direction is included in a holding clearance, it is important that we understand why we do it this way and the friend who crashed into the mountains is why!

Hold south of Bozo VOR on the 182 radial, right turns, 1 minute legs, EFC (the most important part) at 37, time now 18.