PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul McCartney near death experience
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2014, 13:32
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Crab, out of interest, how do you, as a SAR pilot, descend from IMC into a situation at an ad-hoc location?
Simples - you don't overland descend IMC below MSA unless you are on an approved IAP (and that doesn't include made up GPS letdowns).

Overwater, we have dispensation to descend below MSA using our internal radar (330 degree with a dedicated radar operator and no overflying of contacts below 1000') and AFCS/FPC letdown modes (TD to hover etc).

So, overland (day or night) you either find a hole, get a cloudbreak at or above Safety Alt or use an ILS (or similar) then low level grovel as required. Near the coast - get overwater and let down using radar/FPC then grovel as above.

What we absolutely do not do is descend IMC below Safety Alt over land like these guys did. Someone needs to legislate far more tightly about the act of landing - that is what you are doing from DA/MDA onwards, not from the cruise down to DA/MDA (if you even have one which they didn't). On a non-instrument approach you are not really landing until the last 50' or so - why are you allowed get down to that IMC because your 'eventual intent' is to land?

I should clarify, before anyone points it out, that I am no longer either a. military or b. a SAR boy Yes I am slowly letting go