PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circle to land - Missed Approach Point question
Old 10th Dec 2014, 23:18
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a VOR approach with Missed Approach Point (MAP) a couple of miles before the threshold of the runway
In the Plate shown the MAPt is on the Airfield. It is the Decision Point (governed by the DA/DH) which is several miles from the 27 Threshold.

The MAPt is the start of the Missed Approach Procedure so on a Missed Approach it would be sensible to start from, or as close as practical to, the MAPt. So there must be a workable plan to achieve this

If starting a Circle to Land I would set 040 as I turned Cross Wind and would intercept this radial (by turning right if already passed) if I later lost Visual references.

Turning Downwind I would set 090 and from then on I would be planning to Intercept, and Track the 270 Radial to the MAPt if a Missed Approach was required (Left turns from Downwind or Base).

Superpilot,
The Plate says 'Circle-to-Land' is not authorised South of the Runway. Due to the obstacles marked I would say that was very sensible.
This means your dashed red line Track is not allowed.

I would also point out that it doesn't take you to the MAPt (or any other point on the Missed Approach Procedure) but rather straight towards an 587' tower.