PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantaslink Dash 8 engine failure
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2014, 22:24
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find the incident disturbing in that 1. It is unclear if pax were explained in flight properly
What I find disturbing is that you appear to be more concerned with the PA to passengers than the crew getting an aircraft with a shut down engine safely back on the ground.

We do scenarios like this in the Sim regularly and I can guarantee you that the pilots are incredibly busy at a time like this. Every second spent on a passenger PA means less time to the pilots applying themselves to the task at hand (in this case returning to land in an aircraft which has just shut down an engine).

I wasn't there but I'm pretty certain that there would have been a PA along the lines of: "This is the Captain. We've had to shut down an engine and will have to return to Dubbo. Rest assured that this aeroplane can fly safely on one engine and we'll be back on the ground in x minutes. In the meantime, please return to your seats, fasten your seatbelts and follow the directions of the flight attendants."

2. Whether there was adequate emergency preparedness on ground.
It is up to the crew to request emergency services if they feel that they are required. If the engine was shut down simply because of a low engine oil reading the crew may not have requested emergency services. However, there is nothing to say anywhere that emergency services weren't there.

I read the comments on your link and they don't really help your argument. Just because someone says on an interenet website that there is a coverup doesn't make it so. And some of the comments are laughable.

Then you add some unrelated stuff about your dramas regarding a weather delay and conclude that this is a coverup?

Two days from incident to being reported on the AVHERALD! How is that a cover-up?

DIVOSH!