PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night flying
Thread: Night flying
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2014, 20:05
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re currency: IF the passenger to be flown is in possession of a valid pilot's licence for the machine and type of flying to be flown, any pilot, even if non current, can take such a pilot with him flying as a passenger.
Do you have that in writing from the LBA?
I don't think the UK CAA's interpretation is so lax, and the LBA also has a track record of adopting the most onerous interpretation of the rules.

Anyone who can't be designated as 'crew' is a passenger, and therefore the pilot is subject to the currency rule.

MJ
Not in writing but I've discussed this with LBA inspectors in person as they were ramp checking aircraft at my home field. I asked for clarification about the rules as they, the LBA inspectors, believe them to be and they told us - a few fellow pilots were listening in by that time - that currency should be seen as a safety net for those non-pilots who wish to fly.

Their thinking is that someone who hasn't flown - well, taken off and landed 3 times - in the preceding 90 days could be a serious risk, for himself and his passengers. A pilot can assess those risks, but a non pilot can't.......

So, even if a Pilot with valid licence / rating sat in the back of an aircraft and flew with a non current PPL, the flight would still be legal. The issue is less of the non flying pilot being able to step in if things went pear shape, more that the non flying pilot can better evaluate the risks.......