PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RNAV (GNSS)
Thread: RNAV (GNSS)
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2014, 14:51
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which is totaly stupid IMHO.

The whole point of the constant descent approach is get to a DA and if you see nothing, get the hell out by doing a missed approach.

For the last 15+ years I have been told by TC that the dive and drive concept is a thing of the past, that constant descent approaches are the thing to do for safety and now they allow this? The only exception to this is a circling approach which is another subject and one that I personally don't think should be allowed for jet operations. I'm glad to see that there is a move to increase the MDAs because of the increase distances per category of aircraft speeds for circlings.

My last airline (a while back) had 1000' and 3 miles as its circling minimums for our jet operation and today with GPS there is no reason not to have some sort of approaches to all runways.

In any case I much prefer the European view which is IMO, is the safer alternative. If an approach to a runway as a higher minimum so be it... A missed approach at its DA, regardless of height above the airport or distance from runway end is a must if the criteria for the approach are such that obstacles require a high MDA/ DA.