PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RNAV (GNSS)
Thread: RNAV (GNSS)
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2014, 13:24
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ peekay4...

I agree with your interpretation as to why the FAA is "taking out" the VDA info off the approach plates on "non precision" approaches.

It seems to be a fact that some pilots think that on a non precision LNAV or LNAV/VNAV approach they are protected from obstacles on that last segment of the approach and the question is why?

There as not been one recurrent ground school I have been too that this is not brought up and explained. It is also brought up in the sim and also during your initial type rating when in the FMS and approach selections are talked about.

Now I believe someone asked about if 1 or 2 GPS are required for an approach.

For non precision approaches like LNAV and LNAV/VNAV, only one GPS is required but for a precision approach like a LPV with their lower minimums, approaching the FAF you need to see dual independant LNAV/GPS sources, in other words 2 GPS are required (like in a CAT II ILS requires 2 ILS receivers) to continue down to LPV minimums.

Now where I'm not sure I agree with you is the descent below MDA statement you brought up.

Again in class this subject was brought up and not for the first time the instructors are clear on this and this is valid for boththe FAA and Transport Canada... Anyone that goes below a MDA altitude on an approach (before being visual) will be busted thus the reason and option (if granted) to add 50 feet to the MDA altitude and to now treat it as a DA.