PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC work/life balance
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2014, 10:43
sparklesandsweat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC work/life balance

Hello, I am new to this thread and am considering a career in air traffic control, I've been looking into it the past few weeks. So far, I've reached a basic understanding of the training involved, shift work, etc ^.^ I know even the application stages are tough, let alone passing training and getting validated, but I wanted to know the lifestyle of work as an ATC (with he NATS, ideally) before applying nevertheless, if it's no bother. I love the idea of quick/critical thinking for a living, but admittedly, I've no burning passion for aviation in general, as of yet.

Like, how is the social scene in the workplace? are there lots of colleagues; Is there a great platform to make friends? My interests are a bit dorky and include gaming, films, science, etc - would I fit in well? :I

Also, Is there room for family life as an ATC? or does the job lend itself towards becoming a married-to-my-job type. As far as I can tell, most ATCs seem to have had a family before entering the profession and adapted their life accordingly. Is it common for ATCs to meet their spouse and start a family *After validation? I'd hate to doom myself to eternity as a bachelor, with a life that revolves around my job.

Thank you in advance!