PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus shock
Thread: Airbus shock
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2003, 19:36
LEM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using only "optic" senses is definitely worse, in my opinion, than using optic and sensory feedback.

And this is one of my points in criticising Airbus and typical glass cockpits (whether Airbus or Boeing or whatever).

I'd like to add something to my previous post Re Rabbit & 52049er.
Regarding the Indian crash I've used the expression "not the best pilots in the world": First of all because they killed 92 persons because of mishandling in good weather, and second because of this: (cited from "Aviation Disasters" by David Gero):

"As noted in the accident report, the Indian Directorate General of Civil Aviation had previously advised the carrier that the pilot who was in command of Flight 605 be 'positively monitored' in such areas as operation of the flight management and guidance system (FMGS) used on the Airbus 320. His instructors noted '...numerous small errors and omissions...' with the FMGS and mishandling of the aircraft's power controls."

Also, and this pertains too to my criticising fixed thrust levers:
"During the approach to Runway 09, made in conditions of good visibility, the crew inadvertantly placed the flight director in the open descent mode by selecting an altitude on the flight control unit that was lower than the aircraft's actual height. This in turn changed the autothrottle setting to idle engine thrust. The airspeed, which was not being properly monitored ,then began to decay, and the twin jet transport deviated below the glide path. Meanwhile, the aircraft's nose pitched up as the pilot tried to maintain the correct flight path , unable to do so at idle power ." (italic is mine).

Don't tell me a good pilot forgets to monitor his airspeed on final, please!
But what is worse is that when he realised the problem he pulled up on the stick, but did not add power with his hand.
It comes instinctively to a traditional pilot to add power when pulling the nose up. Not so on the Airbus. His hand was already full forward, but he had idle power!
This design has removed one of the most precious instincts from the pilot's background!!
If your attention gets focused on something else, you don't look at the EPR, and the one thing that could save the day, your hand, is lost and dead.
As others have said, as long as all goes well it can be nice and easy to operate , but too many pilots have just about forgotten how to fly an airplane.

Regarding speed tapes, I'm sorry but they are not like an analog display straightened out. The pictorial geometric position of the needle is lost.
Why don't we straighten out the ADI too?
We could have a U5 R15 display, instead of blue sky and brown earth, where U5 stands for UP 5 degrees and R15 for Right 15 degrees! Thanks God, in this case at least they've recognised the graphic display is invaluable and cannot be replaced by a tape!

I believe cockpits should be fool proofs; that would be an improvement. But we don't like to think WE, the great pilots, need something foolproof, do we?
I think the ideal cockpit is like the 737 NG with ANALOG displays, glass, trend vectors, colours, but bigger (and of course more expensive) CRTs. Thrust levers must move - thanks God it's been the choice of Boeing on the 777. All the Airbus protections are good and wellcome.

I'm now very accustomed to fly standard glass cockpits, but ideally I cannot come to a different conclusion.
LEM