PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No wars in December, please. UK military sent home to save on heating costs.
Old 9th Dec 2014, 15:15
NutLoose

Received 2,893 Likes on 1,238 Posts
New Years day I nipped in to check everythnig was alright to find a river of water coming down the stairs, a frantic search for the stop cock followed by a call to the guardroom for a plumber then a stern phone call to the occupants mate to tell the occupant that he had water everywhere.
Had similar, travelled 'Oop Norfh to visit my Mum over the Christmas period a couple of years back, there was a heavy frost and snow over the period, on return I found that the downstair toilet (which isn't heated) the water pipe had departed company from the joint in the cold and was standing proud by a few inches on an icicle... there was no spillage, so a quick visit to a local plumber store and some new fittings in hand I chipped the icicle off flush, fitted the new union and swages, tightened everything up, then heated the room which allowed me to unfreeze the water valve, several flushes to ensure no leaks, I turned the now turning valve off, ran the tap and flushed the toilet to empty the system, then lagged the pipes... total result and no spillage at all.