PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COPA Airlines interviews
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2014, 14:49
chileno 777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAMCA....

I have the South African PPL (not EASA but based almost 100% on that curriculum) and the FAA CPL&IR.
Why I decided to change from one syllabus to another? Basically because I could not stand anymore all the crap that one have to learn on the EASA based program! And not I am not lazy...have a bachelors degree (5 years study) and a post graduation from one of the most respected universities in Chile...so I do know what means to study hard.

I just did not want to cram a bunch of topics that will not have a practical use at all during my aviation career....so when I was informed that had to learn the compass swing (just one example) I packed my stuff and left to USA!!

To calculate winds using trigonometry? It is a stunning word but I have never used trigonometry during a commercial flight so far! (I only have 1800 hrs...1400 on the ATR 72 and maybe the Boeing and Airbus pilots use it on their daily flights but I seriously doubt it)...so why study things that one will never use it at all?
It is true that EASA students have to study a lot (14 subjects) but honestly speaking most of the subjects have zero usefulness during their aviation career. On the contrary FAA syllabus is more practical oriented.

It is true that FAA written exam is a joke (compared to the EASA 14 exams) but on the other hand the FAA oral exams are quite difficult (mine were 2 and a half hours each and the examiner covered every aspect about the things that I will really need during my career).

And for your information I did learn "how to correct winds in a Holding, intercept radials in bound and outbound to a station, to Fly an NDB approach etc, etc, etc..." during my IFR course ...I just did not gain knowledge of a bunch of useless theory subjects!!