PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OP 'TIL WE DROP
Thread: OP 'TIL WE DROP
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2014, 12:05
minigundiplomat

Received 184 Likes on 69 Posts
I can't really foment from the perspective of the anonymous sergeant in Cyprus as I have never served on a Tornado squadron.

I have served on several Chinook squadrons, and as ex-aircrew I would say this:

The Chinook engineers have been constantly deployed since 1982; and lived for extended periods in every kind of sh1thole - tents, barns, 4 tonners, the back of the aircraft and bombed out office blocks - KAF/AKT are actually a huge and recent level of improvement.

They deliver the goods every time; whether it's -25 and snowing sideways or +50, outside of the wire recovering a down bird in Musa Qala or on a grey funnel carrier for months. They take pride in what they do, because they understand the importance of what they do - right down to regularly sluicing blood out the back of the IRT aircraft.

They have, as they have always had, my enduring respect. I can't help thinking they would have done what they have always done and got on with it, laughed off the cheese roll, grumbled a bit, as we all do, and then nicked lunch from one of the aircrew.

My only point concerns the fact that they wear the same blue suit as the Tornado guys, but don't feel as 'special'; possibly because they are closer to the guy on the ground and the guys on the aircraft, appreciate the bigger picture and realise they are in the military.