PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 9th Dec 2014, 07:31
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
smudge,
captain was probably J W... and I can pm you with his name if you wish. As you rightly say a real gentleman. I put myself on his last trip on the 'K' but that is another story.
I cannot remember the loadmaster but it may come to me.
I was not at the 'end of' party but as you have seen I was in at the AT Det start. Logbook says XV 304 on 30 Oct 1990. We were the first a/c in to start the det and ATC claimed to know nothing about us. So we waited for almost an hour whilst the captain spoke to the Air HQ downtown on the HF ! Eventually we were directed to an unfinished terminal part of which became our base. Whilst the UK had dithered the French had acted and thus had the best part of the place.
There was no secure storage for our mountain of Aircrew NBC kit nor for the nine mil and ammo. We did have two brand new Toyota landcruisers. And BATA supplied us with bondu boots.
Two days later we started our hub and spoke operations.
As you can guess I put the one and only Bert up for the det. No one better for this sort of task.

Last edited by ancientaviator62; 9th Dec 2014 at 07:33. Reason: correction