PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your view on a parking fee is sought
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2014, 22:33
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's only happened to us once in reverse when someone landed at our airfield with a problem. He got help and no charge. We don't charge any arrivals actually,
Everyone who has ever landed at my runway received the help I could offer, at no charge. That did not include putting their plane in my hangar. Though, if I had no plane there, I could give a couple of days. But, I own my runway and hangar outright, so I can make that offer. The fact that I can offer, does not mean someone else can, and I have no right to judge.

Last summer I broke down enroute passing through Quebec. I was awesomely treated, including the free loan of a truck to make a parts, and later hotel run, and free use of the shop tools. When I went to pay for the parts and materials I had used, I told them to add two hours of their shop rate to my bill. They seemed surprised - It was the least I could do, and I told them that. On the return leg the next week, I had my friend stop there with me for fuel, so they got the fuel sale for two planes. I have since recommended them to everyone who'll listen. Now I learn that I'll be able to secretly do the mechanic a favour for his plane next spring, he's got a happy surprise coming.

As of tomorrow, I own a hangared plane in England. I'm told I'm paying storage as of today. I'll have to ask how much, so I can cheerfully pay - it's Christmas time....