PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth it?
Thread: Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2014, 22:24
OhNoCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In short; it depends.

If you can bag a job at an established airline you could have a decent paying and long career. Or they might unexpectedly go bust, noone knows.

You might never get a job, in which case the answer is no it isn't worth it.

Let's say you get the job. There are some people that enjoy it at first, the novelty wears off and then they hate it. If you apply the same working hours and conditions to anywhere else (ie. ground office 12 hours a day shift work and a pain in the ass to leave to get to the toilet) then it's pretty grim. Then there are the people who enjoy it at first and the novelty wears off but they still find it ok as a job. This is the minimum way you would want to be (the problem is that it's hard to judge without doing it). Then there are the people that the novelty either never wears off, or it wears off but they still love it. It all depends on so many different factors that it's almost impossible to say what way one individual will be.

I personally cannot claim to have decades of experience, but I have been in the industry for a few years now at least doing a few different things and so far I still enjoy it. The pay is decent but in reality it's just making up for the crappy working times and conditions, but at least I go to and from work with a smile (most of the time, albeit a more tired smile on the way home).

My own advice would be that if you are weighing up taking to the skies or taking to the seas and you think you would enjoy both, go with the better prospecting one (from what you say, the seas, I know nothing about it myself).