PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New RAF Transport
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2014, 20:59
VX275

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dragartist. The MSP and HSP were quietly dropped from the A400M exhibit A as 108 inch side guidance was always the way to go and the UK platfirms could always be made to fit or new designs built. In the meantime the Type V (Its American so it must be good ) took hold, after all who wants to drop at low level 500-600ft anymore when you drop from 1200 ft just like the Americans. I think I'm right but the big exam question raised by the MSP verses Type V has never been fully answered. Can you get the same load on a Type V as an MSP ie 105mm plus prime mover and spare ammo? It OK having to use twice as many aircarft to get the same amount of kit on the ground if you're the American armed forces but with the limited number of aircraft available to the UK you need to maximise your loads.

Think Defence.
Interesting article but I think you need to check your CLE container identification and if you are going to show video of SOE drops you might like to mention that the SOE used containers which weren't CLE types even though they look similar.
The Airborne Pannier and harness pack weren't improvised, they were developments of the pre-war supply drop system of which the cruciform harness, as still used today, has changed very little; the material the webbing is made of has changed but that's about it.