PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taildragger - in Tiger Moth or Chippie?
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2014, 08:44
dhc1180

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjtjrt- you are completely wrong about fatigue life consumption. I think you'll find glider towing falls under the roll factor A; 1 for 1, especially if the towing is carried out with a Lycoming Chipmunk which is non aerobatic and therefore consuming no fatigue life. If you are aero-batting on descent then obviously you record that using form B and submit it to DHSL for assessment. Read TNS138!

A Spitfire with Merlin engine or a Griffon engine is still called a Spitfire. A Mustang with an Allison engine or Merlin engine is still called a Mustang. The list goes on. A Chipmunk with a Lycoming engine is called a DHC1 Chipmunk (Lycoming)- clue is in the name. In fact DHC at the time of manufacturing the Chipmunk were finding possible engine solutions, and the Lycoming was an option from production. But they stuck with the Gipsy. Personally I'l fly a Chipmunk regardless of what engine its got in it, just because I feel lucky and privileged to have flown and still fly Gipsy and Lycoming Chipmunks. I've visited the PAF at Sintra for technical issues, and spent many thousands of hours maintaining both engined variants and to me, they are an aviation icon that don't deserve a bad word said against them.

If you want to do serious aerobatics go and fly a Pitts or Extra, give the old Chipmunks a rest and save their fatigue lives to make them fly for longer. But of course, non of you will know what I'm on about.

I'm annoyed I've wasted 5 mins of my life on the rubbish that is PPRUNE.

See you in another 5 years.

Last edited by Pilot DAR; 8th Dec 2014 at 14:36. Reason: Just to tone it down