PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2001, 22:27
big bus driver

Hi, I'm from the UK, but was over in SA over xmas. I flew with Algoa FC, based at the public airport in PE. This was ideal for me as I didn't want to fork out for car hire, and the airport is close to the beach area, walkable from central, (albeit theres a big valley in the way!), near to a few backpacker lodges, and gave me experience of communicating with atc, etc. There were also lots of SAA and Comair 737's etc. there too - that made things interesting!

If you wanted to stay in PE city, where all the bars / clubs are, then I think you'd need a car to get to Progress - I only saw it from the air but it looked a fair trek from PE city.

I'm planning to switch my free Bradford & Bingley shares for an airfare to SA over easter, the plan is to go back to PE to finish off my SA PPL (but you need 100 hrs to convert it into a UK one believe it or not).

If its any use, I think the costs were roughly £35/40 an hour depending whether an instructor was with you or not. Guess thats pretty standard all over SA though.

Hope this helps, If you've got enough time, I dont think there is any harm in you investigating all the flying clubs over in the PE area and settling with the one you feel most comfortable with.