PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abingdons Alive still
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2003, 09:56
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

I fondly recall lazy summers in Abingdon from my youth whilst it was an RAF airfield. Excursions to 6 AEF as a cadet in the 80s and then later whilst on OUAS. I also have stayed there since it has been changed to Dalton Barracks.

To whomever was moaning about the name and stated that only 'the army cares' about the names of barracks. I suppose that RAF Mount Pleasant and RAF North Front are the names of places are they? Come to think of it isn't Innsworth not in Churchdown, Glos not actually Innsworth? Maybe you need the place names because it is too difficult to remember where they are otherwise.

Jesting aside though. It is hardly our fault that we had to take over Abingdon. Though admittedly at least it is near to one of the country's most wonderful cities. However to blame us for not maintaining it is a little harsh. We don't have quite as much money to spend as the RAF seem to have on facilities and certainly can't afford to maintain airfields that we hardly need. Real aircraft only needing an H painted on the grass and the odd nav aid would be nice.

Hmm I feel some banter incoming....