PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I think I'm barred from flying any plane, ever :(
Old 7th Dec 2014, 14:17
a330pilotcanada

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Mrboeing

I think the fact you have spoken out about your condition speaks volumes for your personal courage in seeking help.

As discussed above find a medical examiner who will lead you in the direction for your next phase.

I have known of line pilots who were clinically depressed who were off the line for a year but are back being productive pilots. I have no recollection of the specifics of their treatment but I am sure it required some form of medication/therapy.

There have been huge advances in aviation medicine not too long ago if you had a heart attack you could not life now after certain conditions are met you can. The same is true with certain types of diabetes. I could go on but remember yours is "medical" condition which through treatment I am sure will allow you to follow your path of your choosing.

On a personal note some 43 years ago I failed a initial medical for a major airline and the Doctor of the day said glasses would preclude me from flying a jet airplane, preclude from ever holding A.T.P.L., and I had bad teeth! I can assure you I have flown 7 types of jet aircraft (type rated on 3 heavy jets), held a A.T.P.L and as far as my teeth go I have 3 crowns! The medical concluded in a rather abrupt fashion when the Doctor said my glasses could be knocked off my face if a Canada Goose came through the windshield to which I said this would be the least of my worries as my head would be be back in the toilets of economy!

In closing the only road blocks in life are the ones you place in front of yourself

Feel free to PM if required