PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 7th Dec 2014, 11:26
Pininstauld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah..

I see the fuel balancing reference has now been edited out completely and that's probably the right thing to do...

Surely fuel balancing IS on of the things that could be left to the computers. I remember over 20 years ago a British-registered 737 over Italy had been left in the fuel transfer configuration because the crew got distracted and, there being no warning system, the aircraft flew merrily on its way with the A/P gradually applying more and more aileron trim until it was at maximum deflection. And then it came to a waypoint and tried to turn in the opposite direction to the imbalance which caused the A/P to exceed its authority just as it reached the bank angle demanded for the turn. The crew, snapped awake by the disconnect warning, instantly saw the roll and the position of the yoke in the same direction (heavy wing now up) and did what 99% of us would have done and tried to roll the other way. Gravity did the rest and 60 degrees of bank was achieved before order was restored. A bit like the Azores glider this one in that a human c**k-up was followed by a brilliant recovery.

On another day in '06 my own A321 was following a VS 744 round the pattern at about 6am on a clear, still, morning correctly spaced by radar at 5nm. On a 40 degree intercept for finals we caught the LOC and the plane rolled snappily to 30 degrees of bank (max authority for LOC*) just as we hit the full force of the wake vortex left behind the jumbo, rolling us further in the same direction. Without thinking I applied full stick, disconnecting the auto-pilot and with no immediate response in roll, applied some rudder to get the wing up. We hit about 50 degrees of bank and I don't know to this day if the A/P would have recovered this on its own - but at 2,700' AGL I certainly wasn't going to wait to find out.

In these instances, as with the Azores glider, it eventually needed a human to resolve a dangerous situation. But it would be a syllogism to assert that the two fuel-related incidents justify removing pilots because they caused the problems in the first place. A sudden uncommanded roll close to the ground still has to be factored in to the equation. Are the automatics ready?