PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Q400 minimum clean speed
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2014, 10:17
Cloud surfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Tu.114

While I can understand your comments about pitch and how they relate to company policy, aircraft pitch in itself does not offer much of an argument in terms of aerodynamics, performance or safety. Right now those are my concerns more than to what extent passengers prefer a clean 8 degree ANU on a Boeing or a clean 5 degree ANU on a Bombardier.

As for ATC, those are certainly valid points for everyday operation into larger airports but again seems to distract from the core of the issue.

There are obviously regulations which limit the absolute minimum speed to Vref, but I'm sure most will agree that flying Flap 0 Vref from 15 miles (for whatever reason) does not sound like a good idea.

So the question remains at what speed, on approach and with flaps at 0, will a line-check result in a non-satisfactory remark about the speed being flown?

I understand the issues of icing, INCR REF SPEEDs, aircraft attitude and ATC restrictions, but if we can ignore those for the moment, where do we end up with the various operators?