PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion thread: Mk 4
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2014, 08:32
PANews

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
The not so secret meeting

I found out more shortly after posting the above.

NPAS called the meeting of local residents but neither NPAS or the local organisers [the Conservative Party] informed the press as far as I can yet find out. [why?]

There were around 40 present out of around 100+ residences [200 people?] in Lippitts Hill and Bury Road areas [under the flightpath] and that includes the principals [police and politicians]. Richard Watson presiding.

A Back grounder for those wondering why this may matter:

Lippitts Hill Camp was created in the late 1930s as a gun site and was subsequently used as a POW camp, a Civil Defence Centre and a Cold War operations centre before the police purchased it.

Lippitts Hill Camp was purchased by the Metropolitan Police in 1960 and continued it Cold War uses for some years. Helicopters have been operating from there since 1967 and dogs and firearms training was undertaken there until local Conservative member led pressure led to their cessation. The helicopter use, which has in the past peaked at 6 airframes, continues today with three EC145 helicopters. The meeting was about a plan to increase current activity from three aircraft to four. I know that not all residents care a great deal and it seems that only attracting about 30 might support that contention.

The site is partially listed for preservation and remains the best preserved example of both WW2 and Cold War military architecture extant

Long delayed, over a year now, the National Police Air Service want to take over the Metro Police operation at Lippitts Hill. Metro are resisting for various police operational reasons.

It steps back to the usual problem of 'hands off policing'.... after NPAS move in they will be controlled from West Yorkshire and GOD will not be visiting to speak to the neighbours again.

Lippitts is miles too big [a bill] for NPAS and they will go somewhere else as the whim takes them. The Met can arguable design out their current use for the site with the new tranche of Digital Radio comms and get rid of the aerials on site and their need to continue to foot the real estate bill.