PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 7th Dec 2014, 07:45
neville_nobody

Received 151 Likes on 66 Posts
Great article. I had seen articles on similar lines but that had alot more technical detail.

Shows that Tourist's theory is really a non-starter for now.

They need to figure out the intelligent computer bit THEN figure out how to certify it and what is and isn't acceptable for the computer.

Interesting quote:

For humans, interpersonal trust is based on “information, integrity, intelligence, interaction, intent and intuition,” says Allen, arguing this will be difficult to establish with a machine. “We will need new methods of verification and validation.”
When all is said and done though I money will be the biggest driver in all this:
The qualified people in government that can design an effective test-and-evaluation program do not exist. There are not enough people to staff the FAA’s six UAS test sites; not in the military, not in the government,” she says.

“These people are not inside the government or industry. They are out there, but working for Google, Oracle and others—companies with a 40% R&D spend,” Cummings notes, comparing their rate of research and development investment with the aerospace and defense industry’s average of around 5% of revenues. “The government does not understand the difference between autonomous systems and unmanned. They know nothing about test and evaluation for autonomous systems. A deterministic approach will not work,” she says. “Meanwhile China is pouring billions into the development of probabilistic and stochastic software systems.

I actually thought we would be alot closer to Single Pilot RPT and/or cruise than we actually are too. Interesting that two guys still beat the Single Pilot + computer.