PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B.E.H.A. or just plain old B.S
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2014, 03:36
rutan around

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B.E.H.A. or just plain old B.S

The link below appeared in AOPA (USA)'s daily e-mail report.
Ever since I started flying 42 years ago (OMG) I've been interested in proposed new aviation related products. Most of them fall by the wayside because either the inventor is trying to break at least one law of physics or the whole idea is just a scam.

This one appears to be nominating for a prize in both categories if not multiple prizes in the flawed physics category.

Where does one start the criticism of this conglomeration of bad ideas?

It would appear everything reasonably possible has been done to increase weight and reduce efficency. The designer claims his BEHA will out perform most light twins so taking a Baron for comparison he should be able to better 200 knots. How????

Both have 600 HP The Baron's engines drive two props operating in clear air and a modest electrical system. It has a mono wing and retractable undercarriage.

BEHA has 3 engines with ducted fan props. Ducted fans are draggy in most applications and add weight and complexity.
Batteries for the two electric motors are heavy and when the initial charge is used up the aircraft is left with one heavy 200 HP Diesel engine + one heavy generator to power all 3 of them. Add to that the considerable power losses converting from chemical energy to mechanical energy to electrical energy back to chemical energy for the batteries and then finally mechanical energy for the electric engines.( I'm ignoring the drag of the wind turbines. Maybe the solar panels would cancel that out. I can't bear to think about it. )

To continue. BEHA has a fixed undercarriage and 3 draggy wings. I thought they went out with the Red Baron's Fokker Triplane.

BEHA will have a ballistic parachute but that weight problem might be balanced out by eliminating the pilot. The blurb says they are developing a remote control system. That would allow the pilot to remain on the ground. A very wise idea I think. I must say I'm surprised they didn't include a bath and a small grand piano. What's a bit more weight in the whole scheme of things?

I'm just not sure how with all that weight and drag, approximately 50 available HP is going to make it faster than a Baron.

Of course it could be a scam. Roll up rollup laze & gem and give us 20,000 quid to build this magnificent machine.*

*Conditions Apply - Anyone with ANY aeronautical knowledge or understanding of the laws of physics need not apply.

This mob are more or less crowd funding to raise money so they can apply for a Government grant.

Who do they think they are? Some Not for Profit organization or perhaps a poor struggling coal company trying to make clean coal?