PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2014, 00:42
Twotter_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm from the GTA as well. I'm living in the dominican now. You may want to plan on moving up north to Timmins or Thunder Bay, or some place in butt**** nowhere. As soon as you finish you cpl sit your IATRA exam right away.

Unlike my friends I haven't had the easiest journey in this industry. There was a period between 2007 and 2013 where I didn't have a job within the industry. Buuuuut, on a positive note I started my own business in construction and renovation which made me a lot of money and a lot of new contacts and I learned a a lot about business management without having to go to school for it. Before all this stuff happened I had a flying gig in Australia in which I started out in a skydiving company making no money. I got a license to pack parachutes and I made 10 bucks a chute. It was enough to pay for food. I lived at the drop zone for free in a small single room. I met my future wife while working at the drop zone and about 6 months later I got an offer doing aerial photography. I actually got paid for that and made about 500 bucks a week and the company paid for my accommodation while on travel. It was a cool job. Flying across Australia with the door off at 500 ft in a piper Cherokee. About a yr and a half after arriving in Australia it was over. Moved back to Toronto got married and then the recession hit. I was royally screwed and that's when the business started. And in November of 2013 I was offered a job from my native birthplace... A small island in the Indian ocean which I hadn't been back to since I left at the age of 5. It was a sweet gig island hopping in a Twin otter but surviving wasn't so sweet. Making a whopping 500 bucks a month wasn't cutting it especially with a wife and 2 small kids. Well that lasted almost 2 yrs. now with some great contacts I've made over the years and some twin turbine and multi-crew experience it has helped me land this job in the Dominican republic on a319. So, like I said before, it's not easy, but keep the dream alive and just go for it. Don't give up. I had almost 5 years of rejection. When I left the Australia job I had 500 hrs of single piston time. Now Im just under 2000 hrs in a short time.