PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Pilotless airliners safer" - London Times article
Old 6th Dec 2014, 22:55
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slast
neville_nobody commented "12 Pages and noone has even touched on how you could ever certify a pilotless pax aircraft."

interesting link here

'Certifiable Trust' Required To Take Autonomous Systems Past 'Unmanned' | Commercial Aviation content from Aviation Week
I was wondering if/when someone would post something like this … thanks. If one were to take the time to read through the article (the link you provided) it should become clear that the development of computers is a long way from finished … AND it is a long way from developing the necessary kinds of understandings and the required kinds of electronic/mechanical hardware and the management software it would require to achieve the kinds of things being discussed here. Will it ever happen? I don’t know. Maybe it will. But if it does it won’t be for quite a while – and just because such a set of electronic, mechanical, and computer interfacing may be available in 50 or 100 years, it would still, undoubtedly, carry little guarantee that “Mom and Pop Average” would be willing to entrust their lives to something that may say, as “HAL” did in 2001: A Space Odyssey, “I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.”