PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Union for Pilots
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2014, 21:43
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also agree with all of the points about OAA/CTC pilot factories creating a massive oversupply. IMHO BALPA needs to start taking more of a front role on these issues, in addition to their work on Safety and other political lobbying.
Which begs the question (yet again): Given the state of UK Industrial Relations Legislation how do they do that?
They could start of by playing the "it's a monopoly" card. I've always had an issue with the "It's their train set" argument. Ethics must surely come into it. The big schools and airlines have colluded to increase training costs and create an indebted slave pilot population without any regard for those who want to avoid high cost and debt. Sustainability, i.e. better chances of employment for those who have been through the very system, instead of those who are going through the system (as we see today) should be a key factor in addressing this insanity.

Furthermore, actually doing something about it may not be the point. Simply raising the concern and publishing it on the damn campaign page in order to get publicity on the issue might help contain the problem! But look at the kinds of people who are on the company councils. A sizeable number have links and/or dealings with the big schools. It would really be a case of pissing in ones own tea cup.

Last edited by Superpilot; 7th Dec 2014 at 09:08. Reason: Misunderstanding of what a cartel was