PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OP 'TIL WE DROP
Thread: OP 'TIL WE DROP
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2014, 20:38
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being in the UK Armed Forces in 2014 is to have been privileged with continually losing the wars you have supported or fought in. Certainly we aren't seeming to win anything, and I think this affects the mindset.
And nobody, but nobody in civvy street gives a tuppenny fig about it.
Continuous downsizing and cost cutting/privatization of the military like this hits the lowest ranks first every time. Not being able to get a decent hot meal laid on, decent accomm available (from within lets face it whilst in a western type small country miles from a war zone) is an utter howler. RAF Senior Officers beware, be very aware-sort it out or do the decent and resign and get out of the way.
* The fact the RAF cant manage or admin their groundcrews properly, yet can still find money to use the base for training a flying circus, beggars belief.
**RN Carriers carried out a rolling op for 3 long years from Adriatic areas lurcher and dogger right through the Bosnian/Serb/Croat fallout 92 to 95. Wasn't easy but we had 3 relatively modern ships, hot food, basic but clean messing, runs ashore (drinking sessions) every 6 weeks or so and so on. Most people could just about handle it, but it wasn't easy as a JR.
Something has changed within military people if they are finally speaking out at how **** it is? The worm turning? Hope so.
Damn glad I'm no longer doing this line of work anymore anyway, and as I've said before on here, if you don't like it/hate it - get outside, its far easier and you are generally treat and paid far better (a story in itself).