PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 6th Dec 2014, 20:02
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ex Ascoteer,

Absolutely correct in your recollections of the K's bleed air ducting failures. And associated hot air plumbing. I remember a three day trip which involved moving an army detachment from Gutersloh to Benbecula, ISTR two trips a day were planned. We pre positioned at Gut, and an enjoyable night stop was enjoyed by all. A sparrows fart start to the day next morning saw us having a de ice, very cold, and we all looked forward to getting airborne to feel warmer. As we started our take off run, brakes of, accelerating, and being down the back next to the ALM, a loud bang was followed by the cargo bay filling with smoke, smelling of burnt oil. An abort was called, and we taxied back to the bay. On removing the access panel to the cargo bay pack I, and the crew were treated to the warming sight of the Cargo pack Cold Air Unit still glowing cherry red. Well, no spare in my "go bag", so we looked for options. Our first load included a large agricultural looking, tracked army thingy, bloody big so not something easily transferred. The plan evolved, Gut Benbecula direct, with all the diff the flight deck pack could give us, and obviously non airways. After offload return to Gut via Lyneham, a frame change and there would be no serious affect on the planned tasking. The trip to Benbecula was bloody freezing down the back, but we expected that, on the return leg, the four hour delay at Lyneham while they sorted out a replacement aircraft was simply daft considering they had at least 8 hours head start before our arrival. Had they given me a new CAU it would have been quicker to change that whilst re loading at Gut. Needless to say the task was done, on schedule, despite delays. But Albert and the hot air distribution was always worthy of respect from a Ground Engineering aspect.

Smudge