PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Haul or Short Haul ?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2003, 06:11
Anti-ice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetset, if you are still checking in on this one, i hope i can offer my view to you !

I have operated L/H for 5 years, S/H for 6 years and a bit of charter mixed also a few years back.

I currently do short-haul and love it.
The crew seem ALOT happier on shorthaul in general, and this ,makes the job alot more enjoyable.
This maybe due to the fact , that even with night-stopping etc.. you are 'always on your way home' if that makes sense.

With long-haul, i used to find that as soon as i started packing my case,i had this feeling of dread almost - the ordeal (the flight) and then maybe being somewhere you don't want to be , maybe also for a long time.
There is also the fatigue factor, and the trips where everyone has 'been there , seen that' and you don't see ANYONE for 6 days There are ALOT of 'delsey diners' .

The only misgivings i find on shorthaul, are the earlies (tho if you do a 0515 paris, you land back at 0900!)and the journey if you live far from the airport.
However, your real life continues and the crew work together very hard, and bond good too!
Heavens know why, but some L/H crew are bit precious / starchy!!

It depends what you want from life, if you have a great home life, stick to shorthaul, however if you want to explore a bit and go further afield then longhaul maybe for you.
The only difference is you may sacrifice some of your home life/personal life.

Even if iwas offered L/H on a 50% contract, i would have reservations!!, and continue S/H 100%!

Hope it all works for the best for You.