PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2014, 18:18
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
A profficiency/philosophy thread?

I could not agree more with 99% of PJ's thots and opinions. All accrued from thousands of hours ( but prolly less landings than I had with 4,000 hours in lites, heh heh).

Perhaps we need a new thread to air out philosophy and "war stories" and such.

The F-16 was the first USAF jet that a teen age Atari troop could fly with zero knowledge of aerodynamics or anything. Remember, our cosmic system would prevent stalls or pulling too hard or.... We were very concerned about the newbies, and I was the dude that had to develop and conduct the academic training for them.

Well. the fact of the matter was all the brown bars had flown "normal" planes and we only had to remind them that they could not get away with murder exploiting our neat system. So most training was about navigation and tactics, and not how to fly the jet.

Sounds like the new transport checkout concentrates on systems management like we did back in the early 70's in the A-7D and then in the 80's with the Viper and Eagle and Hornet. The big, really big difference for us was that the mission-critical phases of flight required basic airmanship and were not automated.

Thots about a new thread?