PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 6th Dec 2014, 14:24
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More nice shots Mr Ripley, keep them coming.

AA62 #2001

Quick Don and all of us had a very exciting flight the day after that photograph was taken. You will probably remember that the detachment at that time operated out of Cape Canaveral AFB (or was it an NAS ?) and we usually used the "skid strip" as the prime runway. I always thought Albert could have gotten airborne across that huge runway. Anyway, the other nice thing with the Andros Det was that it was usual for the GE to take turn about in accompanying the aircraft out to Andros, the second GE being at the airfield on return to help put the aircraft to bed, and fix any defects. So, it was my turn to go to Andros, and, with I believe a rather large Mk48 Torpedo aboard we taxied out. On take off, I noticed the smell of burning, then saw smoke and some sparks emanating from under the Flt Deck floor. I was not on intercom, but being sat next to Don, I brought it to his attention. I asked him to inform the Captain, and would it be OK if I took the steps out to identify the source of it all. He OK'd that and I grabbed the extinguisher off its mounting on Stn 245 as I got under there. I immediately found the seat of the problem, No2 TRU was going in to meltdown mode. Through Don I asked that he inform the crew what the fault was, and in seconds the Air Eng had disconnected the No2 Generator. The TRU stopped erupting, and the smoke started to dissipate. The Captain by this time had called the emergency and requested a landing.

Intent on keeping an eye on the TRU, I wedged myself in and prepared for the landing, at which point Don, probably correctly told me to get strapped in down the back again. I asked if I could remain where I was as a flare up could be dealt with quickly by my extinguisher. He was not happy, so asked the Captain, who suggested that as long as I was in a secure position, he was happy. Don then connected me to his spare long lead to enable me to let the crew know if anything else occurred. We landed safely, and returned to the parking bay, where the aircraft was shut down with no power on at all. Murray and I spent the rest of the day removing the Generator and replacing the drive, as we had no spare TRU with us, we disconnected and removed the U/S unit, sending an Eng Rep asking for a replacement to be dropped off when possible. It was an interesting few minutes to say the least, being down the back Don and I saw more of it than the rest, and enjoyed a couple of beer later that evening whilst discussing it. He might have spiked your drink to get the trip, I doubt after that incident he was glad he did. Happy days.

Smudge