PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OP 'TIL WE DROP
Thread: OP 'TIL WE DROP
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2014, 11:49
Martin the Martian

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts
Whatever the perception of the situation, all I can say is that surely as an MOB Akrotiri should have the required facilities of one. Crews involved with ops from Marham during Bellamy no doubt enjoyed all those facilities?

But it highlights how organisational support for front line staff/crew is withering everywhere. Fifteen years ago at a big district general hospital near where I live there was a staff canteen open Mondays to Fridays 9-5. The public restaurant was open to staff, and provided hot meals from about 6am to 2am, with the proviso that after about 11pm you phoned and let them know you were coming.

Since then the staff canteen has closed permanently, and as patient catering went from food cooked in the kitchens to frozen meals prepared externally and cooked on the wards in portable ovens so the catering facilities diminished, bit by bit. Freshly prepared food at night went, replaced by a vending service and a microwave. Then that stopped and the doors closed at 11pm, then 9pm, and then at 7pm. Now the restaurant closes at 5pm, with no hot food available to patients, visitors or staff after that time, and I believe it is planned that it will stay closed at weekends. The reasonably priced coffee shop at the hospital entrance has been replaced by a Costa franchise, and the shop is now run by WH Smiths with motorway services prices for sandwiches, while taking leftover food from the patients' food trolley has now become a sackable offence. I understand some of the local takeaways are doing very well as a result.

Meanwhile, the NHS Trust responsible still expects maximum loyalty and a 'can-do' attitude from its staff and doesn't understand why staff morale and patient satisfaction are going downhill.